Sunday 24 July 2011

Existere lives on...

This weekend saw the third, and final, day of Existere performances.  The decision by http://www.jocjonjosch.com/ not to film or photograph the installation is I think the correct one, watching it on film would not be able to convey the power of the piece, either from the performer's experience or the audience's.  It was such a powerful creation, but you needed to "feel" it, not just see it.  For the couple of hundred of people taking part (and I include the audience as taking part) it will live on in our memories for a long time to come.

I've met some lovely new friends - hello Peter! http://spencertunickandme.blogspot.com/ and even had someone "come out" to me... perhaps being naked leads to everyone being honest with each other, and themselves.

This afternoon I went to Tate Modern and had a look at the Taryn Simon exhibition. Whilst interesting, I'm not sure Bankside is the ideal venue, it felt as if her work deserved a smaller more intimate showcase, I was going to have 30 mins in the Miro, but the Sunday crowds had arrived so I'll leave my second visit for the Friday evening quiet(er) time.

All in all a productive and enjoyable weekend, but tinged with sadness by the appalling tragedy in Norway. I cannot begin to imagine the pain that the family and friends of all those teenagers are going through, but I hope they are able to find and draw comfort from each other, one thing Existere left me with is the sense that by coming together, and protecting each other, we can withstand whatever is thrown at us.

They are not dead,
Who leave us this great heritage
Of remembered joy.
They still live in our hearts,
In the happiness we knew,
In the dreams we shared.
They still breathe,
In the lingering fragrance windblown,
From their favourite flowers.
They still smile in the moonlight's silver
And laugh in the sunlight's sparkling gold.

They still speak in the echoes of words
We've heard them say again and again.
They still move,
In the rhythm of waving grasses,
In the dance of the tossing branches.
They are not dead;
Their memory is warm in our hearts,
Comfort in our sorrow.
They are not apart from us,
But a part of us
For love is eternal,
And those we love shall be with us
Throughout all eternity.

Anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment