Thursday 14 October 2010

The Art Wot I Was In

Its unbelievable that a year has passed since the end of Antony Gormley’s One & Other project on the Fourth Plinth.  My unexpected hour in the spotlight was on Friday 2nd October at 6pm – and if you are going to stand naked in the middle of London then 6pm on a Friday is as good a time as any!

It was a fantastic experience which saw me actually taking part in an artwork for the first time, having just been an observer before.  The various ways that 2,400 people came up with to spend their hour of fame was inspiring, whether it was just sitting reading a book; raising money for their charities; creating their own artwork within an artwork; or casting caution, and clothing, to the wind and celebrating the amazing piece of natural engineering that is the human body.

It also got me into tweeting, which is a fantastic way to interact with people (the tweets during TV programmes such as Question Time and The Apprentice are often more entertaining and informative than the programmes themselves). 

Art participation is addictive though, and this year has seen me naked in Salford with Spencer Tunick (Everyday People) and up in my home city, in my pants, for Daniel Knoor (Naked Corner) at the Liverpool Biennial.  I know, you’re thinking I’ll drop my trousers at the drop of a hat… and you’d be right!  I think its overcompensation for being chronically shy as a child.

I’ll be back in Liverpool for another 3 days of the Biennial next week, more details about that in my next blog, but meanwhile, I’m over in Trafalgar Square this evening to meet up with some of the plinthers to mark the anniversary of the end of O&O and to have a look at the book of the project which was published today.

This weekend as there isn’t any rugby for Kings Cross Steelers RFC, I’ll be at Tate Modern for a longer look/walk/feel of the Ai WeiWei Sunflower Seeds installation in the Turbine Hall and at the Wapping Project Bankside to catch the Elina Brotherus exhibition before that ends next week.

Whatever you do this weekend, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment